Sunday, September 21, 2008

Week In Review

Time: 331:15
Distance: 48.5 mi.

About three weeks ago I basically totally suspended my real long distance training for the Marine Corps Marathon when I realized that I would be able to make it to the CVS 5k and on the trip to Japan to be on the Ivy League Ekiden team if I made it. I'm very happy with how quickly I was able to turn things around without killing it in training. My 5k at CVS is the best road race I've run in years, and maybe ever, and preparing for it was far from the hardest I've trained. I take two general lessons from this: first, training to the limit is definitely not the best approach most of the time; second, it really helps to have a purpose to be running for beyond just vaguely wanting to have good races.

The next two weeks should provide the opportunity to shore up my fitness with the expectation that I will be running 8k to 10k in Japan on the Ekiden relay on October 13th. I'll be in Austin for the next week and then San Francisco the week after that, so I will at least have some more interesting places to train, though it will require some planning to make sure I get the right stuff in. I should be able to jump in some runs with the Texas guys this coming week, which I'm really looking forward to.

Also worth noting, I haven't been sleeping particularly well recently. I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to get better rest in the next three weeks.

No comments: