Monday, January 19, 2009

Wheaton and Northwest Branch Trails

Time: 90:00
Distance: 13 mi.



After an errand in Rockville, MD I was looking for somewhere interesting to run. After ruling out an inexplicably snowy Rock Creek Regional Park in Rockville, I stopped at Wheaton Park in Silver Spring, MD without much of an idea what to expect. After doing a few short loops in Wheaton Park, I found a connection to the Northwest Branch Trail, which runs 3.5 miles south to US-29. This made for a very nice out-and-back section and combined with the Wheaton Park trails was a great, almost completely soft surface, 13 miles. The run felt a lot like an east coast version of Austin's greenbelt, with a few rocky and technical sections. If I did this run again, it would probably be best to start at the parking lot at US-29 and run up to Wheaton Park and back.

My legs were a little tired by the end, and my left sesamoid is still getting a bit sore after about 50 minutes of running.

No comments: